Thursday 19 January 2012

Honey Mustard Trout

I've been a little lazy with cooking recently. I do love cooking, trying new culinary experiences, and experimenting with different flavours. But, you know when you just want some food to appear with minimal effort? Minus the pizza or takeaway from the picture too.

Well, that brings me onto fish. So quick to cook and good for you with all it's omega-3 goodness. Those who follow me on Twitter may know that I'm partial to a Fish and Chip Friday but, you know when you actually just don't want all the batter and deep-friedness?

Enter tonight's dinner

I bought trout fillets and I was originally going to fry them on the grill pan with a few chopped tomatoes and some basil leaves. Nice and simple. But, you know when you want something different? I think I made this last week already.

Ok, enough with the "But, you know's".

I came up with a super simple recipe that went down a treat. Always a winner when the other half enjoys it :)

Honey Mustard Trout recipe

Honey trout mustard,
served with asparagus

Ingredients

  • 1 tsp English mustard
  • 1 tsp aioli
  • 1 tsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 80ml water
  • 2 fillets of trout, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste

Method

  1. Mix the mustard, aioli, vinegar and honey together.
  2. Add some oil to a grill pan and when ready, add the seasoned trout fillets skin side down.
  3. After about 3 minutes, add 3/4 of the prepared mixture on top of the fillets. The mixture will run down and start caramelising in the pan.
  4. Turn the fillets over and then add 80ml water to the pan. For the remainder of the cooking, the mixture will thicken into a lovely sauce.
  5. After 2 minutes more add the remaining mixture.
  6. After about 1-2 minutes, the trouts should be cooked through.
  7. Serve

I served mine with some asparagus today. Happy dining!

No comments:

Post a Comment